Bowness on Windermere, Bank Road, WM Chapel, Westmorland

Grid ref SD346973

By GW Oxley

Bowness WM Chapel was built of local stone in 1859 at a cost of £500. The site measured 44 feet by 48 feet and cost £66. There were 134 sittings in 1873.By 1883 it was considered to be too small and it was closed when the new chapel was built. The building was sold for £425 and the western portion converted into a dwelling. Apart from probable alterations to the entrance (note the break in the string course) the remainder of the building is little altered. This section was being used as a decorator’s workshop in 1982 but its present use, if any, is not apparent. The western gable has three long narrow round headed windows. With its two ashlar string courses and rusticated quoins, this building must have been very impressive when new. It must also have been one of the last Wesleyan chapels in Cumbria to use the Romanesque style before Gothic became the norm.

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service , Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97 Carlisle District property schedules, 1862-1877

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Carlisle Library 1A287 Bowness Methodist Church, 1883 – 1883

Site visit, 8.7.2017

Photo:Bowness on Windermere, Bank Road, WM Chapel from the southeast, 8.7.2017

Bowness on Windermere, Bank Road, WM Chapel from the southeast, 8.7.2017

G W Oxley

Photo:Bowness on Windermere, Bank Road, WM Chapel from the southwest, 8.7.2017

Bowness on Windermere, Bank Road, WM Chapel from the southwest, 8.7.2017

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 12/07/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.