Ambleside, Rydal Road WM Chapel, Westmorland

Grid ref NY374048

By GW Oxley

This rather grim looking building is situated on the edge of Ambleside close to the main road to Grasmere. It was erected by Rev. Mr Coombs at a cost of £1100 in 1841. He sold it to the Methodists for £400 in 1847. There were 150 free and 150 lettable sittings in in 1851. The chapel was reported to "have reopened", probably after the completion of major works, in 1878/9. There were 235 sittings in 1873. The chapel was closed when the new chapel in Millans Park opened in 1899 and the building was sold for £555. It is now in residential use.

Sources

The National Archives HO129.575/1/5

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DCM1/2/82-97 Carlisle District property schedules, 1862-1877

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM1/6/4 seating returns 1891

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99

Robert White, A brief history of Methodism in Ambleside

Site visit, 8.7.2017

Photo:Ambleside, Rydal Road  WM Chapel from north, 8.7.2017

Ambleside, Rydal Road WM Chapel from north, 8.7.2017

G W Oxley

Photo:Ambleside, Rydal Road WM Chapel from south, 8.7.2017

Ambleside, Rydal Road WM Chapel from south, 8.7.2017

G W Oxley

Photo:Ambleside, Rydal Road WM Chapel, plaque, 8.7.2017

Ambleside, Rydal Road WM Chapel, plaque, 8.7.2017

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 12/07/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.